Joe Halstead, OOnt
Joe Halstead is the Immediate Past Chair of Ontario Place Corporation. He served as Commissioner, Economic Development, Culture and Tourism, City of Toronto (1998-2006). He was the Commissioner of Parks, Recreation and Culture (North York 1994-1998) and Chairman and CEO of the Festival Management Committee (Scotiabank Caribana. 2006-2010).
Previously, he spent 24 years with the Government of Ontario in a broad range of management positions, rising to the position of Assistant Deputy Minister in the Provincial Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Recreation.
He is currently a member of the Board of Directors of Metrolinx Corporation, the Regional Transportation Authority. As well, he was a Board member of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Team Up Foundation. Mr. Halstead has been involved in the business and recreational sectors most of his professional career. He has served on Boards such as the Premier’s Roundtable on Volunteerism, the Toronto Community Foundation, Canada Games Council, the Inter-Provincial Lottery Corporation and the Toronto Economic Development Corporation.
Joe Halstead was the Vice-Chair of the bid committee which recently secured Toronto as the Host City for the 2015 Pan American Games. He went on to become a Board Member of the Toronto 2015 organizing committee for the Games. He was also the Executive Lead for the World Youth Day Conference and the Pope’s visit in 2002. He has served on numerous other Federal, Provincial and Municipal Committees over the past 20 years.
He is listed in the National Registry’s Who’s Who of Executive & Professionals. He was awarded the 2002 African Canadian Achievement Award and the 2012 Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal.
In 2015, Joe Halstead was given the Province of Ontario’s highest honour when he was awarded the Order of Ontario.
Joe Halstead has a BA in Political Science & Economics from York University and a Certificate of Technology from Bristol College of Science & Technology, UK.
JOE HALSTEAD, OOnt
FEDERAL | PROVINCIAL | MUNICIPAL GOVERNMENT COMMITTEES
- Toronto Economic Development Corporation
- Land Use / Water Use Committee
- Inter- provincial Lottery Corporation
- Premier’s Round Table on Volunteerism
- Inter – Ministerial Committee on Children & Youth Services
- Toronto Community Foundation
- Chair and Board Member: Ontario Place Corporation
- Board Member Toronto 2015, Organising Committee for the PanAm games
- Chair and CEO Festival Management Committee (Scotia bank Toronto Caribbean Caribana) 2006-2010.
- Executive Lead for the World Youth Day Conference and Pope’s Visit (City of Toronto) 2002.
- Executive Lead for the 2008 Olympic Bid (City of Toronto)
- Member of the Negotiating Committee to bring the Raptors Basketball Team to Toronto
- Vice Chair 2015 Pan American Games Bid Committee
- Olympic Bid Committee for the 1996 Olympics
- 1994 World Basketball Championships Advisory Committee
- 1993 World Indoor Track & Field Championships Organizing Committee
- The McMutry Group on Strengthening Commonwealth of Nations through Sport.
- The City of Toronto Millennium Planning Committee
- Coaching Association of Canada
- Canada Games Council
- Canadian Olympic Association’
- Founding Member of the Toronto Raptors Foundation Board of Directors
- University of Toronto Council of Athletics and Recreation
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science | York University | 1978
- Certificate Course, School of Business Administration | University of Western Ontario | 1981
- Full Technology Certificate | Bristol College Of Science and Technology | 1967
- The African Canadian Achievement Award| 2002
- National Register’s “Who’s Who” – Library of Congress, U.S.A., | 2001-2002
- Inaugural Edition “Who’s Who” in Black Canada | 2002
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal |2012
- Order of Ontario (O.ont) | 2015